This season, as every winter season, has brought us some amazing ski videos. Covering everything from possibly the craziest line ever skied to ‘instructional’ ski videos on how to be a skier, this season has stepped up the ski video game with creativity and flat out gall. Some of these you may have already seen, but for those of you who missed them, they are worth a watch. So here they are our top 5 videos from this season thus far:
- This one might actually be my favorite purely based on laughs. It’s equal parts hilariously spot on and unfortunately true. Any and all skiers will enjoy this ‘instructional’ video on how to be a skier. Remember, no whining on a powder day and if you’re having a rough day, it’s not your fault, it’s the snowboarders’ fault.
- In this segment from the ski film Days of My Youth by MSP Films Cody Townsend skis one of the most insane lines I’ve ever seen. It is true that Townsend is not the first person to rip this line, having read all the hype around the fact that Travis Rice nailed it before. But the reality is that anyone crazy enough to ski this line and come out alive deserves some serious recognition.
- This video is a scene from the ski film Afterglow by Sweetgrass Productions in which Pep Fujas, Eric Hjorleifson, Daron Rahlves and Chris Benchtler ski in LED light suits at night. It’s truly enchanting to watch these skiers ripping through powder like majestic glowing orbs in the dark. Definitely one of the most original film segments I’ve ever seen.
AFTERGLOW – Lightsuit Segment from Sweetgrass Productions on Vimeo.
- This is Candide Thovex’s second edition of just having “one of those days’ at his home resort. This first person shot of Thovex shooting around his home mountain is astonishing. From his launches over ski patrollers into the backcountry to the speed at which he glides over moguls like they weren’t there, you can really take away two things from this video. One, he knows this mountain like the back of his hand, and two, he is a ballsy but undeniably amazing skier.
- Here’s a short film which is a part of The Shadow Campaign called Sun Dog. Made by DPS Cinematic, this film shows a special companionship between man, dog, and mountains. All I can say of this video is that it gave me all the feels. New life goal: get a dog, move to Patagonia, and ski.
The Shadow Campaign // Sun Dog from DPS SKIS on Vimeo.
Any videos this list is missing? Post them below to add your ideas.